It's great that you have decided to build your self-confidence. However, there are a few obstacles that can keep you from achieving your goal. Most of the time, these obstacles are so obvious that they do not seem like obstacles at all, and all you can see is that your resolve to be self-confident is not taking you anywhere.
Therefore, it is important to become aware of these seemingly harmless obstacles that have all the power to stop you in your path:
If you really think about it, these obstacles should speak for themselves. They are the most self-defeating elements that make up the mindset of a person who isn’t self-confident or that lacks self-esteem.
It should be no secret that the best way to improve your life and earn the respect of others is to improve your self-confidence. Although it may seem like it at times, this is not a very difficult task. All that it takes is good guidance.
Here are twenty-five tips that can get you on your way to improving your self-confidence:
1) Find a coach or mentor who can help you reach your goal. Most people, who have done well in life, have a mentor who has traveled the same road on which they are traveling today. Meet your mentor regularly, and seek his advice and support as a routine. You will find that you are learning something valuable every day.
A better way is to shrug your failures as something inconsequential and take on a new challenge. Of course, you must learn from your mistakes, and be realistic about your abilities. People who try to over-reach often fall. You should not allow that to happen in the name of self-confidence.
4) Never put yourself down. Failures are like parasites. If you allow them to grow they will eat away your self-confidence, self-respect, and self-esteem. The best is to push negative thoughts out of your mind if you want others to treat you with respect. This can only happen when you project a positive exterior, even in most adverse situations. Make it a point to filter out all self-criticism.
5) Acknowledge your successes. We are often our own worst critics, making personal development a behemoth task for many people. Instead, focus on your successes, no matter how small they may be. Success adds up into greater things, and acknowledging a job well done is an excellent way to boost your self-esteem and motivation.
6) Develop the ability to accept criticism about yourself...without getting upset or defensive. This will help you eliminate your weaknesses one by one. However, make sure that the criticism is constructive. Don’t allow yourself to be overwhelmed by criticism that is cynical or meant to lower your self-esteem. This will be a great mistake and do irreparable damage to your self-esteem.
8) Always be positive about yourself...and keep reminding yourself about your good qualities, your accomplishments and how you help your family, friends, others and yourself. Don’t make the mistake of brooding over negative things.
9) Turn to a group. If you're facing a difficult problem in your life, don't be afraid to turn to a group. There are many groups available that can help with almost any struggle that an individual faces. Groups offer a support system of like-minded people. They increase your potential for success and give you others who you can remain accountable to.
10) Interact with people. You may be self-conscious and because of this, you may avoid talking to groups of people. Try to approach groups of people and introduce yourself to them. Ask them questions about themselves and try to be genuinely interested in the answers. Listen carefully and attentively to what they say and respond to show your interest. Interacting with people will make you feel more relaxed. You will realize that it is easy to speak to groups of people and to relax by concentrating on what others are saying, rather than on yourself.
11) You should surround yourself with people who are positive and supportive, and shun friends who are cynical and negative. This will generate a huge swell of positive feelings in you. You will respect yourself more, and your self-esteem will grow.
12) Put yourself in positive environments as much as you can. Your environment and the people around you dramatically affect your level of confidence whether you realise it or not. Immerse yourself in people who build you up but that are honest and forthright with you. These are the type of people who will show you where you can improve while also reinforcing that you can do it and that the job you have done thus far is great. They can help you work on your faults while praising you with each step forward you make.
13) Never compare yourself with others. This is the easiest way to feel inferior and lose self-esteem. It is better to rate yourself on your achievements. Such an approach will give you self-confidence. At the same time, it will make you feel better when dealing with your peer group.
14) Make a list. Self-confidence is found in people who have a healthy self-esteem. They know their personal worth and act accordingly. A good way to improve your personal worth is to make a list of your accomplishments every day. You will be surprised to know how many positive acts you perform every day in life, but which you don’t notice. Once you start looking at this list, your self-confidence will boom.
16) Be a person who is true to their word. Take action when you vow to take action. Follow through on your plans even if it initially looks like there is no way forward. That doesn’t mean being inflexible. Of course, there will be times when you need to compromise and alter your goals and plans but always stay true to your vision.
17) Control yourself. In order to better yourself, you should aim to take control over your own body. You should conquer the desires of the flesh like greed, lust, gluttony, etc. to get closer to true happiness. If you do not have control over your body, then you will have no control over anything in your life.
18) Pay attention to how you look. Take pleasure in wearing good clothes and being well groomed. It makes you feel good. People will also look at you differently. Remember that every human being wants to be found in the company of smart, intelligent, successful people. You can soon be a center of attraction if you radiate a positive, smart look. It can very easily make the difference between success and failure.
19) Feel the fear and do it anyway! If you stand up and face that thing that you are most afraid of and do it anyway very often the fear disappears. If it doesn’t the first it will the second, third or fourth. Doing this will prove to your subconscious mind that nothing bad did occur from taking that action.
20) Keep your head! If you find that you are not keeping your cool in a particular situation, stop and take a personal time out. Stopping and counting to ten is going to give you the chance to think about what you are going to say or do next and can help you to avoid making the wrong move.
21) Respect your boundaries and make others respect them too. Don’t give in to bullies in your place of work or in your personal life. You must learn to stand up to them. This can only happen if you are assertive about your rights. Of course, this does not mean that you should pick up physical battles to make your point. On the contrary, you should exercise restraint and make your point in a dignified manner. This will not only make others treat you with respect but also increase your self-esteem.
22) Keep yourself fit by exercising regularly and controlling your diet. A fit and healthy person is much more active and achieves more in his career. Physical fitness, like self-confidence, glows on your face.
23) Be interesting. Have a wide range of interests, and take an active interest in what’s going on in the world. Meet and talk to a lot of people. Don’t focus all your attention only on your work and on your problems. Divert your attention to new interests, and new tasks. This will keep your mind happily occupied, and boost your self-confidence.
24) Negative people only pull you down and should be avoided. If someone tells you often enough that you can't do something you will begin to believe them and thus form a negative belief about yourself. Such people are toxic and must be avoided at all costs.
emotional, spiritual and intellectual aspects into one unit. Visualize this combination and it will help increase your confidence and allow you to achieve anything and reach the highest potential you can.
There are as many possible self-help routines as there are people in the world. The only way to get good results out of the process is to tailor a routine that fits you. Any of this article's tips might help you help yourself. Try to practice some of these tips as faithfully as you can, and see the difference in your life. Do not worry about the ones that do not seem useful; focus on getting the most out of those that do.