Okay, so you made the decision to improve your health. You’re taking your vitamins, you’ve given up smoking and junk food, and you’ve decided to buy a juicer to take advantage of the health benefits of juicing. All good things. And, according to the latest studies, all things that may help in cancer treatment and prevention, as well as the treatment and prevention of a host of other ailments, including heart disease, asthma, allergies and high blood pressure. But, don’t overlook one important element in helping your body stay healthy.
You’ve heard of the “placebo effect” haven’t you? That’s when you get better thinking you’re taking a certain medication, only to find out you were really taking a sugar pill. In almost all studies of medications, there’s a certain percentage of people who improve taking the placebo. Why? Because they thought they were taking the real thing. They expected to feel better and they did.
Now, am I saying you can conquer any illness just by thinking yourself healthy? No. And, if you have any symptoms that concern you, you should see a health-care professional. But, using the power of positive thinking, belief and relaxation techniques in conjunction with healthy eating and modern medicine can certainly help with the treatment of any disease. It can lower anxiety, which can help improve any anxiety-related illness. It can ease nausea in cancer patients, which can help with certain procedures. It can lessen the effects of pain.
Increasing Positive Belief
One way to increase positive belief is with hypnosis or self-hypnosis. Hypnosis allows you to get to that deep state of relaxation where you bypass the critical beta mind. Once in a relaxed trance state it’s good to imagine or visualize your body as perfectly healthy and repeat positive affirmations to yourself about your body being in perfect health.
Along with positive affirmations, positive self-talk means purposely giving yourself positive reinforcement, motivation, and recognition- just as you would do for a friend. Congratulate yourself when you do well, and remind yourself of your abilities, accomplishments, strengths and skills. Keep a to-do list, check off accomplishments, and review your progress periodically.
Make self-talk work for you. What you habitually say to yourself has a very profound impact on your self-image, your self-esteem, and your performance as well as eventual success. Remember that your subconscious triggers physiological responses to match the pictures and thoughts that you have of yourself.
Why Stop Negative Self-Talk
Just to name a few of the powerful benefits of affirmations and positive self-talk:
A Word About Affirmations
That why it’s important to stop negative self-talk. You may well be used to negative self-talk because that’s what most of us have been taught as kids. However, negative self-talk can be damaging because again, your subconscious believes what you say to yourself when you repeat the negative thoughts. How is your subconscious to know otherwise? If you catch yourself using negative self-talk, stop and rephrase. Eliminate the negative words. Focus instead on the best course you can take and do it.
As far as affirmations, well, what stops most people is the uncertainty of what to say, and how to word affirmations for optimal effectiveness. Below you’ll find some simple tips to help you write effective affirmations for improving your self-esteem.
1) Present tense - First, it’s helpful to word affirmations in present tense, not future. You wouldn’t want to say, “I will learn to love myself” because that makes it sound like you’ll get around to it “someday.” Instead you could say, “I choose to love myself.” The wording of that affirmation does two things: it empowers you with the addition of the words “choose to,” and it puts the timeframe in the present moment.
2) Believable - At the same time, your affirmations should be believable to you. If you tried to say, “I am a wonderful person with a lot to offer the world,” you may not really believe that, so your subconscious mind might reject it. Instead, try to focus on a process rather than an end result in your affirmations. Say something like, “I am learning to embrace my uniqueness and share it confidently with others.”
3) Use the right tone - When you recite affirmations, you can do so aloud or just mentally, but you should focus heavily on the TONE you use. Rather than saying the words without emotion like you were reading a newspaper – really inject an element of love and tenderness into them. Your subconscious mind picks up on the emotional aspect of what you’re saying more than the actual words. Imagine the difference between saying the words, “I really love myself” with a tone of love and compassion, or sarcasm. Which do you think would have a greater impact on your subconscious mind?
4) Repetition - Once you’ve got some affirmations formed to work on your self-esteem, try saying them several times a day. Remember, your subconscious mind is constantly playing back old, negative messages – so you want to counteract those as much as possible. Keep reciting your more positive thoughts on a regular basis - especially when you become aware that you’re thinking negatively about yourself.
5) Give it time - Finally, remember that it will take time to change those old, negative messages in your mind to something more positive. In most cases you’ve been feeding you subconscious mind negativity for almost a lifetime. Don’t expect to change your mindset in a day. It may take a few weeks or even months before you’ll notice an obvious difference in how you feel, and you may be tempted to think it isn’t working. Keep with it, and you will begin to see a difference eventually! Most likely it will be a gradual change. Little by little you’ll start feeling more positive and notice that you’re feeling a bit happier and lighter. That’s your signal that it’s working!
It cannot be overstated the impact that hypnosis, self-hypnosis, positive self-talk and affirmative statements can help you towards the vital goals and improving your mindset. If you don’t believe in the power of these ideas, then just try them yourself. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain!